Last year my husband and I went on our amazing honeymoon to Hawaii. We were so fortunate to be able to visit 4 different islands and stay at 5 different hotels. One of the islands we stayed at was Kauai and we had a long discussion about which hotel to choose. In the end it came down to the St. Regis Princeville Resort or the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa. We decided to go with St. Regis Princeville as we really wanted to be able to swim in the ocean.
As soon as we arrived we experienced the terrific customer service that the St. Regis offered. They valet took our car, bags and showed us where to go. The lobby is gorgeous with beautiful art and chandeliers. When we got to our room we were in awe of the view, the ocean, pool, mountain and waterfalls. Our room was very spacious and we had access to a butler. Every morning we enjoyed coffee in our room while over looking the ocean.
Some of the other positives we found were:
- The pools were great for swimming in the evening with a clear view of the stars and the Milky Way
- You did not need to rent chairs or towels
- There is an option to pay for water activities. We paid to go kayaking on our own, we were only supposed to go for an hour but we enjoyed it so much we stayed out for three hours
- Not a far drive to snorkelling and hiking
- The bar in the lobby has a great view of the sunset
Some of the draw backs:
- You can swim off the beach but the coral and rocks are very close to shore so we would not recommend it
- We found the food to be expensive, there was also a lot of rain so we were not around the hotel for meals and did not try many of the restaurants at the hotel
- If you have an allergy let them know early. The first time we tried the pool bar they were not helpful but when we went back later in the trip they were very accommodating
Overal we enjoyed the hotel and our stay. We did not feel wowed by the hotel especially given the price we paid. Our room did have all the amenities one could hope for but when you are in Hawaii you want to be outside enjoying the weather. When we go back to Kauai we will most likely try another hotel.